Thursday, December 6, 2012

Why I created this blog.

I'm a mom with a daughter heading into those tween years.  Some days her life is like looking into a portal to my own  youth.  For all the wonderful technology and social advancements that have come about since I was young there is still no solution to girl drama and often self esteem issues with girls.  It is culturally acceptable now to empower girls and encourage them to do what they want without putting labels on them.  While there are more and more outlets for them to show themselves and everyone else just how much they can shine when given the opportunity, I still wanted to give my daughter something that she can put inside herself and bring out whenever she needs that little reminder that it's okay to be who she is and do what she wants to do.

Music has such a huge influence in all our lives. I bet you can't go a day without hearing some form of music; it's everywhere, from television ads to cell phone rings.  I know how much music influences my emotions, thoughts and even my creative process.  I know how comforting it can be to seep yourself in songs of heartbreak, to commiserate with the artist, or how that upbeat tune gets you going and puts a smile on your face as you sing along carefree and happy.  Music can help us soothe broken hearts, bring back memories, and pump us up when we need the lift.

This blog is intended to be an ever growing list of songs for my daughter (and yours.) There is no set style. Songs can be rap, country, pop, folk...whatever gives the message that girls are powerful capable individuals and no matter who they are, they are beautiful.  Music that will lift them up, remind them that girls can over come the drama of the day, whether that drama is family, friendship, love, or life in general.  It's music they can identify with alone in their room, out with friends, or just as a soundtrack to everyday life.


1 comment: